Friday, June 12, 2015

Stand Up Speak Up



  Sitting down reading "The Story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer" by Michael Van Duke and found the following excerpt captivating. Bonhoeffer is talking with Bishop Bell. I'll start with the words of the bishop:

"Perhaps the heaviness you feel comes from the weight of the prophet's mantle across your shoulders?"
 Dietrich replies, "I do not aspire to the prophet's role. I only want to be a good disciple of Jesus Christ."
 The bishop sighed. "Yes, but the shame nowadays is that, even in the Church, anyone who makes such a statement is laughed at and treated as a fool. Insincerity is automatically assumed."
  "Do you think I am a fool, George?"
  "Of course I do," the bishop said, smiling back. "But we could use many more fools like you."

  These words rekindle in me the words I shared in my sermon this past Sunday as I stated that as Christians we have allowed ourselves to be pushed so deep into the corners by society, that if we do not stand up and speak up when we need to, then will we become the next human torches of Nero's garden parties. We must become the disciples that we have been called to be, commanded to be. - Bobbyology

No comments:

Post a Comment